The song was first recorded by Li'l Millet and his Creoles, for Specialty Records. He co-wrote the song with LaBostrie, who had previously co-written "Tutti-Frutti" with Little Richard. It was produced by legendary New Orleans producer Robert Blackwell. It was recorded at Cosimo's J&M Studios in September, 1955, and released in November 1955. Backing musicians on the sessions were Edgar Myles (vocals, trombone), McKinley "Li'l" Millet (vocals, bass), Lee Allen (tenor sax), Ernest Mare (guitar), Bartholomew Smith (drums), James Victor Lewis (tenor sax) and Warren Myles (piano).